Monday, September 10, 2007

I feel terrible


Well, I worked at our local Wal-Mart about 2 years ago for about 2 years. I worked in lawn and garden (I know nothing about gardening, I managed to bs my way through gardening questions). A young man also worked in lawn and garden. A very sweet, nice, and kind man. He's probably about 26 he also has Williams! Well he was and still is the door greater and also runs the register when cashiers, like I was needed breaks. I'll be honest I wasn't always nice to him :(. I was never rude to him in person but I do remember me and the other cashiers making comments that he could be somewhat annoying at times. I feel just awful.
I figured all this out when I went to the doctors today. She asked me about Blake and then she mentioned a young man at Wal-Mart had Williams Syndrome. I immediately knew who it was. I feel just awful but I also feel a little better though finding this information out. He's a great person!
I actually still talk to Erik every time I go to Wal-Mart. He knew Blake was in the hospital (Troy's anut works in Lawn and Garden, too) So yes I called lawn and garden when I got home and asked to speak to Erik. I didn't know how to ask such a question. We just started talking he really is easy to talk to. He asked about Blake I gave him an update and then told him he was dx about six weeks ago with WS Erik then told me that that ws extremely rare and that he also had WS. We talked for just a little while longer than he gave me his cell number and house number to call him or his mother with any questions I had(I told you he was sweet). I believe building a stronger friendship with this young man will help. This has been an interesting day!
-Here's a pic of my little men (I don't know how to make a slide show?)

11 comments:

Amy said...

I know how you feel, and have been in a similar position with a volunteer here at the museum I work for. While he does not have WS, he clearly has cognitive and helth issues. Thankfully, we are given 2nd chances, and since Avery's DX I have gotten to know David and look forward to his visits. I intend to use my 2nd chance to advocate for people with special needs and try to raise issues of tolerance for those who are different. Hope Blake is getting stronger every day, you certainly are!
XOXO
Amy

Noel said...

Getting the diagnosis does open your eyes to the fact that we all are human and make mistakes. We also tend to take health and our "easy" lives for granted until we are faced with something that changes everything we think and do! I know I am guilty of it! I am glad that you have met someone with WS...it's nice to see glimps of what the future might hold when you feel like the rug is being pulled out from under you.

Thanks for the pics. Blake is very cute and so is his big brother!

Noel

Heather said...

oh my goodness. That was definitely a life lesson. I am so glad that you found out about Eric and then were brave enough to call him. I'm sure knowing Eric will give you hope for Blakes future. Crazy how life can suddenly take a sharp turn isn't it? Hope Blake is doing well! :) Thanks for sharing your amazing story. ~ Heather

Lisa said...

oh, I think we have all been there...Whitney you are so brave and such a fighter I really admire you

Katie said...

I think we have all said or done things we regret in heinsight. I guess its because we were naieve. People dont usually understand disabilities and as a whole, humans tend to be scared of things they dont understand so react aggressivly...
I have only just discovered your blog and i must say Blake is absolutely beautiful!
I really admire your strength and I am sorry to hear Blake has been having a hard time of it. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
xxoo
Katie

Tara said...

That's unbelievable that you worked with someone who has ws. It's so rare! I just found your sight and am so excited to come and check in to see how you all are doing. Blake is a doll and I hope he gets stronger by the second.

Ava's Grandma Kim said...

I hear you, sistah. Every one of us has had that jolt of reality. But Amy is right on the money...we ARE given 2nd chances. You will look at people with special needs in a whole new light, and you will be a better person for having done it. I can tell you that my family was devastated when Ava was diagnosed WS. But now? We love her and enjoy her more than any of us thought possible. She is our joy.

Blake is a beautiful baby. I pray that his health improves. You are now among friends that will help you with any issues you may have, or just lend a sympathetic ear. Welcome!

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

Hey, Whitney! Your boys are handsome!

When it feels like you can't hold your chin up, remember we are cheering for you.

Noel said...

Whitney, if you want email me and we will talk...cnlhhaclay@aol.com

Yes, Abi did have her aorta repaired. It was something they called the Doty procedure. They also repaired her corinary artery because of the narrowing there. Her narrowing was right at the aortic valve and then up 6mm or so. Her aorta narrowed from 12mm to 5 mm then back to 11 mm(hourglass shape). She also has renal artery stenosis in both main renal arteries which causes her high blood pressure. Plus the damage to her right ventricle.

noel
email me and I will answer anything I can!!

Ivey's Mom said...

hang in there and take a deep breathe in the meantime. My daughter does not have WS, but she does have a very rare genetic condition - so rare there is no name for it. Obviously, there is no information about her diagnosis, we are a living lesson.

Anyway, give yourself some space. You need it. I have spent months of Ivey's life in a hospital so far and she is only 18months old. We also have two sons - 4 and 3. Whether you are ready for it or not, life will become unlike anything you could have ever imagined. It will begin to work it's self out.

I was reading over your posts and it is good to see you get out to the Y. Take some time. I know I keep saying that over and over, but information is flying at you and will not stop for some time, so slow down the things you can and enjoy everything that you can.

Congratulation-he is beautiful!
Gwen