Monday, September 17, 2007

Saving Babies


I'm at the hospital and as I type they are going to shock a baby externally. I can't remember what the name of the machine is called my brain doesn't function as well after midnight. But I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. It's just so surreal. Since Blake's been admitted I've been here while 3 other children passed. I don't know how much longer I can do this!
Oh, I'm in the waiting room now I just got kicked out a minute ago. I wasn't sure if they where going to kick me out or not I didn't want to try to leave all the doctors where by the door and rushing in and out. I figured I was just as safe back with Blake in his little corner on the other side of the room. But alas the nurse asked me to leave which I gladly did with lab top in tow. Well I pray that everything goes smoothly for Blake's little roommate. I know she arrived just a few days ago.


Well while I'm here I'll give everyone an update on my sweet man Blake. Blakes going to get his G-tube(gastro tube a.k.a feeding tube) Wednesday. Well hopefully Wednesday that hasn't been confirmed. They never confirm the day or time til the day before. Even then its still subject to change. I'm nervous of this surgery after all they are going to be cutting holes into my sweet boy. I just hope it helps more than hurts. He has reflux really bad. He's not vomiting so much as just retching all the time and he constantly sounds congested. Especially after eating he's so raspy! So they'll give him a nissen(tighten the area where his esophagus meets his stomach) at the same time. Theirs an up side and a down side to this it will fix the reflux, but the down side is he won't be able to vomit EVER! Over time it might loosen and allow for some vomiting but this can take many years. The surgeon said possible when he's TEN or older! I hope everything goes smoothly. I'm still shock up after what happened after his cath. Well I'm signing off now. I pray for each of you and yours. And if you have a moment please give a little shout out for Blake's neighbor.


Here's Blake in his swing (He also has a glider) the nurses call the glider Blakes personal roller coaster!

11 comments:

Noel said...

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. It has got to be so very hard. I have been in the next room when they were "working" on another kid and it is scary.
My niece has a g-tube. She had hers put in at 3 months.(she has a heart defect callled HLHS). The feeding tube has worked out great for her. There will still be kinks to work out but it made a huge difference for her. She is now 3 and they are slowly taking away all of the tube feeds, and she is eating by mouth. It made it easier to keep her hydrated and gaining weight because she didn't have to be awake to get her to take in liquid.

I will continue to pray for Blake and his roomate...
Noel

Tara said...

Blake is beautiful and I hate that you are having to go through all of this. I will be praying for his little neighbor - you are really dealing with a lot. I can't imagine.
We continue to keep Blake in our prayers. Hang in there!
Tara

Amy said...

Awww sweetie, I want you guys home! He is so cute, and I hope Blake's neighbor is ok.
XOXO
Amy

Julie said...

I will continue to pray for Blake and his roommate. I hope you guys get to go home soon.

Nicole said...

I will also say a prayer for Blake and his little roommate. How scary for you and I will pray for your strength.

Blake is adorable and reminds me very much of my Emerson when she was that little. They grow up fast.

Katie said...

Oh Whitney, it must be so confrontational to be around so many other sick children :(
Good luck with the G-Tube, i have heard that they work wonders, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your gorgeous boy.
xxoo
Katie

Laura said...

Blake is just adorable. You are all in our prayers.

Lisa said...

fun fun at the hospital...Blake looks good I hope the g-tube helps...we'll keep praying for him and his roommate

Nancy said...

Go, Baby Blake, go!

Thankfully, we never did the G-tube but, then again, they didn't find out what was wrong with Erik until he was 17 mos. He smelled like a car battery that whole time...the reflux was TERRIBLE. I hope the Nissen fundoplication works. Praying for you...

Heather said...

Sorry i'm late to comment. I hope everything turned out okay for the other baby.
I hope the G tube goes okay for blake and that it helps! keep us posted! Heather

Ava's Grandma Kim said...

You poor thing. So much has happened in such a short time. I know how hard it is to be at the hospital. One day feels like ten. Baby Blake and his neighbor are in my thoughts.